Here are the following ingredients:
- ⅔ cup (150 mL) fresh bread crumbs
- ½ cup (125 mL) grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup (60 mL) finely chopped onion
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried oregano leaves
- 1 large egg
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) whipping cream
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper
- 1 lb (500 g) Lean Ground Beef
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup (60 mL) extra virgin olive oil
- 1½ cups (375 mL) tomato basil pasta sauce (homemade or store-bought)
- 1 ball (125 g) fresh mozzarella or bocconcini cheese, drained
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) fresh grated Parmesan cheese
Here are the following shopping items to buy:
Follow these cooking methods/directions:
- Combine bread crumbs, Parmesan, onion,
garlic, oregano, egg, parsley, cream, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Gently
mix in ground beef with a fork or your hands (careful not to over-mix). Roll
into about twenty-two 1½-inch (4 cm) meatballs.
- Place flour on a plate. Heat oil over
medium-high heat in a large ovenproof skillet or wide saucepan. Roll meatballs
in flour a few at a time to coat, then add to pan. Cook, shaking pan gently or
turning meatballs as needed, for about 8 minutes until browned all over. Reduce
heat to medium, add pasta sauce and bring to a simmer.
- Cover and bake in preheated 400ºF oven
for 30 to 40 minutes, stirring once until a digital instant-read thermometer
inserted into several meatballs reads 160°F (71°C) and sauce is thickened.
- Topping: Uncover skillet. Tear mozzarella
into small pieces and sprinkle over meatballs; sprinkle with Parmesan. Bake,
uncovered, for 5 to 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
These meatballs freeze well, simply let the baked meatballs cool at the end of step 3. . Freeze in an airtight container for up to 1 month. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating in the oven or on the stovetop until heated through and add Topping, then bake as directed to finish.
Fresh bread crumbs are made by using fresh bread (sliced or buns) that still have moisture in them. Toss the bread slices or torn buns into a food processor and pulse until fine crumbs. Freeze any leftovers in a resealable bag until you need fresh bread crumbs again.