Here are the following ingredients:
- 2 lb (1 kg) Boneless Beef Blade Roast, Blade Steak or Beef Stew Cubes
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- ¾ tsp (4 mL) salt, divided
- ¾ cup (175 mL) dry red wine
- 2 cups (500 mL) tomato passata (strained tomatoes)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- ½ tsp (2 mL) hot pepper flakes
- 6 fresh basil leaves, torn
- 2 lb (1 kg) yellow-flesh potatoes, peeled
- ¼ cup (60 mL) extra virgin olive oil
Here are the following shopping items to buy:
Follow these cooking methods/directions:
- Trim visible fat from beef. Cut beef into
about ½-inch (1 cm) pieces. Pat dry with paper towel and set aside.
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium
heat. Add carrot, onion and garlic; cook, stirring for about 5 minutes or until
softened. Stir in beef and ¼ tsp (1 mL) of the salt. Cook, stirring, for about
3 to 4 minutes or until beef starts to change colour, but not brown. Add wine
and increase heat to medium-high; bring to a boil.
- Stir in passata, bay leaf, rosemary, hot
pepper flakes and remaining salt; return to a simmer. Cover, reduce heat and
simmer, stirring frequently, for about 2½ hours or until beef is very tender.
- Potatoes: Meanwhile, place
potatoes in a saucepan and add cold water to cover. Bring to a boil over high
heat. Season water with salt. Reduce heat and boil gently for about 25 minutes
or until tender but firm. Drain well and return to pot. Drizzle with oil and ¾
tsp (4 mL) salt and stir to break into chunks; keep warm.
- Stir basil into stew and simmer,
uncovered, for about 10 minutes until slightly thickened. Discard bay leaf and
rosemary stem. Serve spezzatino with Potatoes.