Here are the following ingredients:
- 5 lb (2.2 kg) Beef Brisket Pot Roast, thick Double/Point End/Deckle section (not Flat End/First Cut)
- Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) sunflower oil, divided
- 2 Spanish onions, quartered
- 6 carrots, cut into thirds
- 5 stalks celery, whole
- 1 whole head garlic, broken in half (skin on)
- ¼ cup (60 mL) golden raisins
- 6 tbsp (90 mL) red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup (60 mL) packed brown sugar
- 2⅔ cups (650 mL) no-salt-added beef broth or stock
- ¾ cup (175 mL) dry red wine
- ½ cup (125 mL) ketchup
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tsp (5 mL) EACH whole cloves, whole allspice and dill seed
- 2 lb (1 kg) mini or Parisienne potatoes
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) EACH chopped fresh parsley and dill
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) sliced fresh chives
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- ¼ cup (60 mL) extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
Here are the following shopping items to buy:
Follow these cooking methods/directions:
- Brisket: Pat beef dry and season all over with
about ½ tsp (2 mL) each salt and pepper. Heat 2 tbsp (30 mL) oil over high heat
in a large deep skillet or sauté pan; brown beef, turning, until browned all
over. Transfer to a large stock pot or Dutch oven or minimum 5-qt (5 L) slow
cooker. Set aside.
- Add remaining oil to skillet over medium heat. Cook
onions, celery, carrots, and garlic, stirring often, for 20 to 30 minutes or until
lightly caramelized; transfer to the pot with the brisket. Add raisins to the
skillet. Pour in the red wine vinegar and bring to a boil while stirring and
scraping up brown bits from bottom of pan. While maintaining a boil, stir in brown
sugar, beef broth, red wine, ketchup, thyme, bay leaves, cloves, allspice and
dill seed. Pour over the brisket and vegetables.
- Cover and cook in preheated 300°F oven or in slow
cooker on HIGH or for 4 to 6 hours, or in slow cooker on LOW for 6 to 8 hours,
or until beef is fork-tender.
- Meanwhile, place potatoes in a saucepan and add cold
water to cover and season with a pinch of salt; bring to a boil over high heat.
Reduce heat and boil gently for about 15 minutes, until potatoes are tender.
Drain and return to pan. Cover to keep warm and set aside.
- Transfer cooked beef to a cutting board and cover
with foil; set aside.
- Strain the braising liquid, reserving both the liquid
and carrots; discard remaining solids. Pour 1 cup (250 mL) of the liquid into a
saucepan for the glaze. Transfer beef and carrots back into the pot or slow
cooker; pour remaining strained liquid over the beef. Cover to keep warm and
- Herbed Glaze:
Bring the 1 cup (250 mL) reserved braising liquid to a boil over high heat.
Boil until reduced by half to create a nice shiny glaze. Remove from heat and
stir in parsley, dill, chives, garlic, lemon zest and olive oil. Season with
salt to taste.
- To serve, carve
roast across the grain into
slices. Arrange 2 slices on each serving plate along with a portion of the
carrots and potatoes. Drizzle meat and vegetables with Herbed Glaze.