Here are the following ingredients:
- 8 oz (250 g) Beef Rib Eye Grilling Steak, 1 inch (2.5 cm) thick
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) EACH soy sauce and Chinese cooking wine
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) cornstarch
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) salt
- ¾ cup (175 mL) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Chinese cooking wine
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) EACH oyster sauce and soy sauce
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) sesame oil
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) cornstarch
- 1 tsp (5 mL) granulated sugar
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) ground white pepper and black pepper
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) canola or avocado oil
- ½ lb (250 g) fresh chow mein noodles
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) canola oil, divided
- 1-inch (5 cm) piece gingerroot, minced
- 5 to 6 cloves garlic, minced
- Half onion, thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, julienned
- 3 heads baby bok choy, quartered lengthwise
- 5 oz (150 g) oyster mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 3 green onions, cut into thirds, cutting white sections in half lengthwise
Here are the following shopping items to buy:
Follow these cooking methods/directions:
- Beef: Cut
beef across the grain into ¼ inch (0.5 cm) thick slices. Place in a medium bowl.
Add soy sauce, cooking wine, cornstarch and salt; mix well to coat beef and set
- Sauce: Whisk
together beef broth, Chinese cooking wine, oyster sauce, soy sauce, sesame oil,
cornstarch, sugar, white pepper, black pepper and ¼ cup (60 mL) water in a
medium bowl until smooth. Set aside.
- Noodles: Heat
a wok or large deep nonstick or cast-iron skillet over high heat until hot and
starts to slightly smoke. Add oil and swirl to coat. Spread chow mein noodles over
pan and cook, without stirring, for 30 to 60 seconds, until noodles start to
brown. Quickly flip the noodles over with a spatula or chopsticks and fry the
other side for 1 to 2 minutes or until noodles are crispy and golden brown.
Transfer to a large serving plate and set aside.
- Stir-fry: Return
wok to high heat. Add 1 tbsp (15 mL) oil and swirl to coat. Add gingerroot and
garlic to taste; stir-fry for 30 seconds. Add beef with marinate and cook,
without stirring, for 30 seconds to char slightly. Stir-fry for 1 minute or
until cooked to medium-rare. Transfer to a clean bowl and set aside.
- Add remaining
oil to wok with onion and stir-fry for 30 to 60 seconds or until wilted. Add
carrots, baby bok choy, oyster mushrooms and ¼ cup (60 mL) water. Cover and
cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until vegetables are slightly softened.
- Pour over
cooked beef, stirring to coat. Add beef mixture to wok, reduce heat to medium-low
and simmer, stirring often, for 1 to 2 minutes or until sauce is thickened.
Garnish with green onions.
- Spoon the Stir-fry
into the middle of the Noodles, leaving a border around the edges for the noodles
to remain crispy. Serve immediately.
Fresh chow mein noodles are highly recommended; they’re found in the refrigerator section of the Asian grocery store and well-stocked supermarkets. You may also substitute with dry chow mein noodles. Cook according to the package until al dente, drain well and let cool. Pat dry before you fry them.