Here are the following ingredients:
- 1 dried chenpi (dried mandarin peel)
- 1 cup (250 mL) warm water
- 2 lb (1 kg) Beef Brisket or Blade Pot Roast, cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) pieces
- 2-inch (5 cm) piece gingerroot, cut into 6 slices, divided
- 6 star anise, divided
- Cold water
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) sunflower or canola oil
- 1 shallot, diced
- 5 to 6 cloves garlic
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Chinese five spice powder
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Chinese cooking wine
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) EACH oyster sauce, hoisin sauce, soy sauce and dark soy sauce
- 4 tsp (20 mL) Chu Hou paste
- ½ tsp (2 mL) salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 1-inch (2.5 cm) piece rock sugar, about 26 g (or 1 tbsp/15 mL packed brown sugar)
- 1 daikon radish (about 1¼ lb/625 g), scrubbed and cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) cubes
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) cornstarch
Here are the following shopping items to buy:
Follow these cooking methods/directions:
chenpi and warm water in a bowl. Let soak for about 15 minutes. Drain,
discarding soaking water.
- Meanwhile, combine
beef, 3 of the gingerroot slices and 3 of the star anise in a medium stock pot
or Dutch oven. Fill the pot with cold water (about 5 cups/1.25 L), or enough to
cover the beef. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer for 5
minutes. Skim away any foam from surface.
- Drain beef in
a colander; discard the gingerroot slices and star anise. Rinse beef and the
pot with cold water to remove any excess foam. Set aside separately to dry and let
- Return pot to
medium-high heat. Add oil and swirl to coat; add shallot, garlic to taste, cinnamon
stick, reserved beef and remaining gingerroot slices and star anise. Cook,
stirring, for 4 to 5 minutes until beef is lightly browned. Stir in Chinese
five spice powder, Chinese cooking wine, oyster sauce, hoisin sauce, soy sauce,
dark soy sauce and Chu Hou paste. Cook, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes until the
beef is coated with the sauce. Stir in salt, bay leaves, sugar, rehydrated
chenpi and 3 cups (750 mL) water. Bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce
heat to low and simmer for 1 hour, turning beef occasionally, and checking after
30 minutes to ensure there is enough water to prevent the meat from drying out.
The liquid should have reduced to about half the original amount. If there
isn’t enough liquid, add up to ½ cup (125 mL) water.
- Stir in daikon
and return to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 to 45 minutes until beef
and radish are tender.
- Stir 3 tbsp
(45 mL) cold water into cornstarch in a small bowl, mixing until smooth. Gradually
stir into the stew. Bring to a boil, stirring, Boil for 2 to 3 minutes or until
sauce has thickened slightly. Discard bay leaves.
Beef brisket or blade are the cuts most suited to this recipe.
Try to pick out meat that has even marbling for optimal flavour and tenderness. If using lean meat with little marbling, reduce simmering time in step 4 by 30 minutes.
Freeze the beef for 15 minutes before you cut the cubes to make it easier to cut.