Here are the following ingredients:
- ¼ cup (50 mL) all-purpose flour
- Salt and pepper
- 1 lb (500 g) Beef Oxtail, cut into 1½-inch (4 cm) pieces
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) sunflower or canola oil, divided
- 2 lb (1 kg) butternut or acorn squash, peeled and cut into ½-inch (1 cm) cubes
- 6 russet potatoes (unpeeled), cut into ½-inch (1 cm) cubes
- 6 stalks celery, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 bay leaves
Here are the following shopping items to buy:
Follow these cooking methods/directions:
- Combine flour with salt and pepper to
your taste in a large bowl. Add oxtail pieces and toss to coat. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp (15 mL) oil over medium heat
in a shallow heavy skillet. Add squash, potatoes, celery, garlic and bay leaves;
cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until starting to soften. Cover, reduce heat
to medium-low and let cook while you brown the oxtail.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining oil over medium
heat in a large enamelled cast-iron roaster, Dutch oven or heavy stockpot. Shake
excess flour from oxtail and add to pot; discard excess flour mixture. Cook,
turning often, until browned all over. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Discard any extra oil from the pot; add
simmered vegetables, browned oxtail and 1 cup (250 mL) water. Cover, reduce
heat to low and simmer for 2 hours, stirring occasionally, until meat is
fork-tender. Discard bay leaves. Season with salt and pepper to taste.