Here are the following ingredients:
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp (5 mL) granulated sugar
- ½ tsp (2 mL) Korean chili paste (Gochujang) or Sriracha
- 2 English cucumbers, diagonally sliced
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tsp (10 mL) packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) EACH minced garlic and minced gingerroot
- 4 tsp (20 mL) sesame oil
- 1 lb (500 g) sliced mixed mushrooms, such as cremini, shiitake and oyster
- 1 cup (250 mL) matchstick or shredded carrots
- 1 pkg (142 g) baby spinach (about 6 cups/1.5 L)
- 6 Beef Burgers, ¾ inch (2 cm) thick
- 6 small whole-wheat hamburger buns, lightly toasted
- 6 eggs, fried
- 1 tsp (5 mL) EACH black and white toasted sesame seeds
- Korean-style Mayo
- ¼ cup (60 mL) light mayonnaise
- 1 to 2 tbsp (15 to 30 mL) Korean chili paste (Gochujang) or Sriracha
Here are the following shopping items to buy:
Follow these cooking methods/directions:
- Whisk together vinegar, soy sauce, sugar and chili paste in a large bowl. Add cucumbers; toss and set aside until ready to serve.
- Whisk together soy sauce, sugar, garlic and ginger in a small bowl. Heat sesame oil over medium-high heat in a large nonstick skillet. Add mushrooms; cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until softened and lightly browned. Add carrots; cook, stirring, 2 minutes or until softened. Add spinach and soy sauce mixture. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until wilted. Remove from heat, cover and keep warm.
Make a thumbprint depression in centre of each burger (to prevent rounding while grilling). Grill burgers over medium-high heat (400°F/200°C) in a closed preheated barbecue for 10 to 14 minutes for ¾ inch (2 cm) thick burgers, turning twice or more, or until a digital instant-read thermometer inserted sideways into centre of each burger reads 160°F (71°C).
Korean-style Mayo: Meanwhile, whisk together mayonnaise and chili paste to taste in a small bowl. Set aside.
Place bun bottoms on 6 serving plates and spread cut sides with Korean-style Mayo, top with burgers then sautéed vegetables, a fried egg and sesame seeds and bun tops. Serve with cucumber salad on the side.
Transform this into a Burger Bowl by omitting the bun and serving vegetables and burgers over cooked whole-grain rice dolloped with mayo.