Here are the following ingredients:
- 2 lb (1 kg) Beef Stew Cubes
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) fine sea salt
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) garlic powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) EACH onion powder and smoked sweet paprika
- ½ tsp (2 mL) ground cumin
- ½ cup + 2 tbsp (155 mL) olive or canola oil, divided
- 1 sweet onion, sliced
- 1 sweet green pepper, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) tomato paste
- 2 cups (500 mL) canned diced tomatoes
- 2 large carrots, cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) chunks
- 2 large white or yellow-flesh potatoes, cubed
- 1 cup (250 mL) ketchup
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Worcestershire sauce
- 4 cups (1 L) beef broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 Scotch bonnet pepper, diced (optional)
- 2 tsp (10 mL) fresh thyme leaves
- ¼ cup (60 mL) fresh Italian parsley leaves, chopped
- Fine sea salt and pepper
- Steamed Coconut Jasmine Rice (recipe follows)
Here are the following shopping items to buy:
Follow these cooking methods/directions:
- Trim beef and set aside in a large bowl. Combine 2 tbsp (30
mL) salt, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika and cumin in a small bowl.
Drizzle ¼ cup (60 mL) of the oil around perimeter of the beef in the large bowl;
sprinkle beef with spice mixture and toss to evenly coat.
- Heat ¼ cup (60 mL) of the oil over medium-high heat in a large
Dutch oven or enameled cast-iron roaster. Brown beef, in batches (do not
over-crowd the pot), turning, for about 6 to 10 minutes or until browned on all
sides. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Add remaining oil to pot and reduce heat to medium. Cook onion
and green pepper, stirring, for 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, for 1
minute. Add tomato paste and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Stir in tomatoes
and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes. Add carrots and potatoes; cook,
stirring often, for 5 minutes. Stir in ketchup, Worcestershire sauce and broth;
bring to a boil. Return beef and any accumulated juices to the pot. Stir in bay
leaf, Scotch bonnet pepper
(if using) and thyme.
- Cover and cook in preheated 325°F oven for 1½ hours or until
meat is fork-tender. Skim off fat and discard bay leaf. Stir in parsley and
season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve over Steamed Coconut Jasmine Rice.
Steamed Coconut Jasmine Rice
This aromatic rice is a wonderful complement to
Place 4 cups (1 L) jasmine rice (uncooked) in bowl and add
water to cover; stir to rinse. Drain and repeat until water is clear; drain and
set aside. Heat 3 tbsp (45 mL) coconut oil over medium heat in a large saucepan.
Add 2 cloves garlic, minced, and 2 tsp (10 mL) minced gingerroot; cook, stirring for 1 minute. Increase
heat to high. Add the rice, 1½ tsp (7 mL) salt; cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Stir
in 2½ cups (625 mL) hot water, 1 cup (250 mL) coconut milk and 1 tbsp (15 mL)
light brown sugar. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes or until
water evaporates and rice is tender. Fluff with a fork.