Here are the following ingredients:
- ⅔ cup (150 mL) mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) EACH ketchup, relish, Dijon mustard and dill or sweet pickle juice
- 1 tsp (5 mL) smoked sweet paprika
- ½ tsp (2 mL) EACH garlic powder and onion powder
- 6 Lean Ground Beef Burgers, ¾ inch (2 cm) thick
- 6 burger buns, split
- 2 cups (500 mL) shredded lettuce
- ¾ cup (175 mL) sliced dill or sweet pickles
- 1 cup (250 mL) French fried onions (see Tip)
Here are the following shopping items to buy:
Follow these cooking methods/directions:
- Combine mayonnaise, ketchup, relish, mustard, pickle juice, smoked paprika, garlic powder and onion powder in a medium bowl; cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Make a thumbprint depression in centre of each burger (to prevent puffing while grilling). Grill burgers on oiled grill in a closed preheated barbecue over medium-high heat (400°F/200°C) for 10 to 14 minutes for ¾ inch (2 cm) thick burgers, turning twice or more, and until a digital instant-read thermometer inserted sideways into centre of each burger reads 160°F (71°C).
Meanwhile, grill buns, cut sides down, on barbecue for 30 to 60 seconds or until well-marked and toasted.
Place lettuce and grilled burgers on bun bottoms. Top with Special Sauce, pickles, fried onion and bun tops.
French fried onions are often used as the topping on the traditional holiday green bean casserole, and can be found in the salad dressing aisle of the supermarket, or in the produce department with prepared croutons. For cheeseburgers, top burgers with sliced Cheddar cheese during the last 2 minutes of grilling or until melted. Burgers can be pan-fried on the stove top over medium heat in a large cast-iron skillet or grill pan. Toast buns in pan or under broiler.